In article <btnsra$9iufi$1 / ID-205437.news.uni-berlin.de>, Useko Netsumi wrote:
>First of all, thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us.
>Perhaps, this is what we need to get Ruby a truly platform/OS independent by
>making all its (popular/necessary) apps/tools available on any platform/os.
>
>What compiler and other tools do you use to compile them sucessfully? Will
>it compile with vc6 or vc7? What are the necessary changes you have to do in
>the source or Makefile? etc.etc.

I'm using msys/mingw. (Which I also used to compile Ruby.) This uses the
gcc compiler.

http://rubydotnetproxy.rubyforge.org/mysql_win.html has updated
instructions which should work.

Someone I've been conversing with off-list confirms that this
works for them.

Compiling with MSVC should be easier than with gcc, since the problems I
encountered were caused by the differences between MSVC and gcc when it
comes to cdecl/stdcall function naming. (MSVC can create stdcall functions
without the @<n> naming while gcc doesn't like this.)

If you're using MSVC then the straightforward
	ruby extconf.rb --with-mysq-dir=c:/mysql
	make
	make install
should work.

NB: The standard mysql C client library (as used by mysql-ruby) has what
some people consider a license problem - it is under the GPL (rather than
LGPL.) Hence if you use the mysql-ruby library in your Ruby code, you must
follow the GPL. This might mean, e.g. if you distribute your program to
other people you may need to make the source available to them as well.

There is a library ruby-mysql (rather than mysql-ruby) which is written
completely in Ruby. This is under Ruby's license. This appears to implement
almost the same interface as mysql-ruby, so it shouldn't be too hard to make
it work with DBD/Mysql.rb. (Not that I'm volunteering :)