Quoting Joe Mason <joe / notcharles.ca>:

> This doesn't fix the big problem with meaningful indentation, which is
> that it makes it hard to cut and paste code from different levels
> without good editor support, and especially error-prone to cut-and-paste
> from the web.
>
> I caught one of the big names in Python posting some code to
> comp.lang.python once, all flush with the left margin.  I forget exactly
> who it was - not Guido.  But I figured if the language wizards couldn't
> get pasting 100% right, there wasn't much chance anybody would get
> through a Python career without having problems.
>
> Of course, with a language that used block delimiters, the code would be
> incredibly hard to read, but you can have a script go through and clean
> it up.  In Python if your browser eats all the indentation, there's no
> way to reconstruct the proper logic.

Precisely. This happens more often than any of us would like to admit. ;^)

> (I like {}'s myself - I find end keywords particularly ugly - but it's
> not a deal breaker for Ruby.)

"begin"/"end" keywords prevent editors like vi from being able to "bounce" (%)
between braces and showing matches. That's my only pet peeve with Ruby. (Of
course, closures can be written with braces, but methods can't.)

--
jason

:wq
This mail sent using ToadMail -- Web based e-mail @ ToadNet