Austin Ziegler wrote:

>On Linux, at least, zlib appears to be compiled into "standard" Ruby. For
>the PragProg distribution for Windows, zlib is also present.
>
>-austin
>--
>austin ziegler    * austin / halostatue.ca * Toronto, ON, Canada
>software designer * pragmatic programmer * 2004.01.07
>                                         * 10.31.03

Thanks.  It is true, that with 1.8.x and zlib, there shouldn't be a real
necessity for implementing the zlib algorithm.  I wasn't aware that it
came standard with 1.8.

However, (and I'm speaking more broadly than of just compression
algorithms now) in general it is not possible to expect specific
functionality to be distributed standard with the interpreter.  If we
wait for that, we'll wind up with a multi-megabyte runtime that becomes
much more expensive (bandwidth-wise) to distribute.  For such things, it
*may* be desirable to have a pure-ruby implementation of the
functionality that was desired (be it compression, gui toolkits, etc.,
etc.).

My two cents.  I'll shut up now.

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3 / email.byu.edu

ruby -h | ruby -e 'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a << r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'