On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 01:11:41AM +0900, Richard Dale wrote:
> Sadly too late for KDE 3.2 as it wasn't included in the release plan 3
> months ago, and I couldn't seem to manage to justify it going into 3.2 on
> the kde-core-devl list as a 'technology preview' or similar.

as bindings are not entirely simple distribution-wise in any case
i think that a fair number of distributions will probably ship with
korundum bindings - i merged the branch, but its still in do_not_compile
by default, but that shouldn't matter, it is in the source tree at the
very least, and we could probably get it enabled for 3.2.1 if the
enable-pthread stuff is sorted. or in any case i'll make sure that
gentoo at the very least has it for 3.2.x ;-)

> Please see Alex's comments about the pthreads startup crash problem - that
> seems a bit of a show stopper at the moment. I don't have it, and I use gcc
> 3.2.2 on PowerPC with Qt 3.2.3. It seems to be a combination of a later gcc
> than I have with a current Qt lib.

i'm hoping that someone else can enlighten me further on this as
i'm still unable to go any further. i've now given up on the possibilty
that it will work out of the box for the moment and i've thus built
ruby with --enable-pthread on my machine and will work on some korundum
using example programs in the coming weeks.

> "Well, PerlKDE is in CVS. It's missing some more marshallers and some DCOP
> eyecandy, but it's pretty complete and stable otherwise. Let's say it's beta
> or pre-beta."

i should check out PerlKDE at some point in the near future. i hope that
germain imports this into kde cvs after the freeze is lifting in the
coming months.

> Ruby has one or two more KDE marshallers than perl, so more of them for all
> the bazillions of C++ list types, and finished DCOP support is mainly
> what's missing.

the generic marshalling depends on 3.2, but other than that the
package on lypanov.net/bindings.html will work with either qt 3.2
or qt 3.1.

cheers,
Alex

--
When women love us, they forgive us everything, even our crimes; when they do
not love us, they give us credit for nothing, not even our virtues.