Bauduin Raphael wrote:

> Greg Brondo wrote:
>> Is there any mature bindings (like Python has) for KDE/QT and Ruby?
>>

> The best candidate is the package Richard DAle is working on.
> Maybe it'll be part of KDE 3.2 that will be release soon, I don't know.
> I'm looking forward to it  :-)
Sadly too late for KDE 3.2 as it wasn't included in the release plan 3
months ago, and I couldn't seem to manage to justify it going into 3.2 on
the kde-core-devl list as a 'technology preview' or similar.

Please see Alex's comments about the pthreads startup crash problem - that
seems a bit of a show stopper at the moment. I don't have it, and I use gcc
3.2.2 on PowerPC with Qt 3.2.3. It seems to be a combination of a later gcc
than I have with a current Qt lib.

Other than that, here is a summary of the current development status:

The bindings use the same runtime as the PerlQt project, which has been
released on SourceForge for over a year. It seems to be picking up steam
(go PerlQt guys!), with the Debian GUI installation front end being written
in PerlQt for instance. I would say that the QtRuby bindings are about as
complete/stable as the perl ones - ie they don't crash randomly/leak memory
etc. The Qt bindings are about 95% done feature wise, but still quite
usable as they stand.

The Smoke runtime for Qt/KDE has 950 classes/29000+ methods wrapped last
time I measured, so it is really very complete

This is Germain Garand's comment on the kdeperl list about the status of
PerlKDE (the ruby bindings or 'Korundum' have the same runtime and are at
the same stage):

"Well, PerlKDE is in CVS. It's missing some more marshallers and some DCOP
eyecandy, but it's pretty complete and stable otherwise. Let's say it's beta
or pre-beta."

Ruby has one or two more KDE marshallers than perl, so more of them for all
the bazillions of C++ list types, and finished DCOP support is mainly
what's missing.

-- Richard