On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:16:40PM +0900, gabriele renzi wrote:
> have you ever looked at the Criteria library ?

Yes, in fact I wrote a DBI module for it. It's great; if I were going to
write an OO DBMS interface I'd use it, or at least some of the code and
ideas from it. But it doesn't solve the whole problem - only the
querying bit, and even then it can't quite manage queries as complex as
the example I gave with in the OP. It still only returns (at best)
arrays of data, and does nothing about turning them into first-class
objects.

I don't know if there is a solution to my problem, whether what I want
can be done cleanly. To tell the truth I'm not 100% certain of what I
want, but I visualise something like a cross between Vapor and Criteria.
If no such thing exists, and I can't find an alternate solution I guess
I'm back to writing it myself, or settling for some other method. It
just seems like there should be a good way to marry the power of SQL
(and the optimised searching/indexing and concurrency routines a good
RDBMS provides) with the pristine Object-Orientedness of Ruby.

Tim Bates
--
tim / bates.id.au