On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:19:07PM +0900, Jamis Buck wrote:
> (... quote snipped ...)
> Heh. :)  Well, the point of doing it in Ruby isn't to win races, I
> guess.  It's more to make these things portable.  I'm sure a zlib or
> bzip2 algorithm implemented in Ruby would be dog slow, too, but the
> convenience provided by having them available directly, on any platform,
> has to be taken into account.

This doesn't make any sense. When it's possible to have a ansi c compliant
program (the ruby interpreter) which can be compiled on/for a (unix environment
on a) foreign platform, it'll also be possible to compile zlib or whatsoever
there. Probably it's more likely for such libs to be portable than ruby
itself.

I dunno where you people think ruby is running on (aside of your mind :).

Regards,

-Martin