Shashank Date wrote:
> "Mark J. Reed" <markjreed / mail.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:06:24AM +0900, Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT wrote:
>>
>>>Just to point that out: We are very close to the middle of epoch
>>>(saturday, don't know the precise time by heart).
>>
>>Saturday, 2004 January 10 13:37:04 UTC
>

> Please allow my ignorance: what is this all about? I thought epoch was just
> a unit of time.
> Did not know that it had a middle. :-)

In general that is true. :)

They are talking about Unix time, which has its zero point
at Jan 1, 1970 midnight UTC. In a fixed number of bits
(umm, 32?), the number of seconds will "overflow" in the
year 2038.

<joke type="y2k">Then, of course, civilization will plunge
into chaos. Elevators won't work, planes will fall out of
the sky, and dogs and cats will sleep together.</joke>

Strangely the math isn't making sense to me at the moment.

A billion seconds should be very roughly thirty years.
That's 10**9 or roughly 2**27. The epoch is 68 years long.
Surely we're not storing it in 28 bits. Someone show me
where I'm being stupid.

Hal