Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I don't want to start a lenghty thread about wether that makes sense
>or not. My question is only if such a thing is known to exist. I did
>find Huffman but besides that rei, nada, rien, zero, nichts. Anything
>else (note that the point is *plain* Ruby, no extension). Otherwise I
>will try to implement such an algorithm on my own.
>
>Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT

I've played with the idea of implementing zlib in  pure Ruby...
unfortunately, I've never got beyond that.  I've got about 30% of a
working tar implementation, but that's not really compression.  I'd be
very interested in a pure ruby zlib or bzip2 implementation, if you
decide to write one. ;)

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3 / email.byu.edu

ruby -h | ruby -e 'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a << r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'