"yonatan" <yonatan_avraham / hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
news:37fcf3c0.0401060555.7ab8a404 / posting.google.com...
> Regarding Botp's configuration using Windows XP...

> > > I'm trying to do some WMI stuff with Ruby.  I found this
> > > simple example somewhere.  It works -- until the program
> > > exists that is.
> > > Then Windows pops up a "ruby.exe - Application Error" message
> > > box due to inappropriate memory access.

> ...I just installed Ruby 1.8 on an Windows XP box and the WMI example
> works fine.  I then installed it on another Windows 2000 box and the
> WMI example crashes.  Any ideas?

The fact that it crashes on application exit seems to indicate a problem
with reference counting where an object is being deleted after it has
already been deleted once. The Ruby GC will collect all live objects on exit
and this is why the problem shows up here. Only a suggestion of course.
Why it works on one OS and not on another is difficult answer.
Also it doesn't answer why a reference count error might happen in the first
place.
Except if there is a bug in either the Ruby impl. or in the WMI COM objects
implementation.

Regards

MikkelFJ