On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Useko Netsumi wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >     @pstore.transaction do
> >       @pstore[name] = [address, phone]
> >     end
> >   end
> >   def [] name
> >     @pstore.transaction(read_only = true){ @pstore[name] }
> >   end
> >   def each(&block)
> >     @pstore.transaction do
> >       @pstore.roots.each{|name| block.call(name, @pstore[name])}
> >     end
> >   end
> >   def << record
> >     first,last,addr1,addr2,city,zip,home,work,mobile = record
> >     name    = Name[first, last]
> >     address = Address[addr1,addr2,city,zip]
> >     phone   = Phone[home,work,mobile]
> >     self[name] = [address, phone]
> >   end
> >
> >   Name    = Struct.new "Name", :first, :last
> >   Address = Struct.new "Address", :addr1, :addr2, :city, :zip
> >   Phone   = Struct.new "Phone", :home, :work, :mobile
> >
> >   [Name, Address, Phone].each{|c| class << c; alias [] new; end}
> > end
> >
> > if $0 == __FILE__
> >   db = DB.new
> >
> >   records = [
> >     %w(john doe foo bar boulder 80304 1 2 3),
> >     %w(jane doe bar foo boulder 80305 3 2 1),
> >   ]
> >
> >   records.each{|record| db << record}
> >
> >   john = DB::Name['john', 'doe']
> >   jane = DB::Name['jane', 'doe']
> >
> >   db.each do |name, address, phone|
> >     printf "name: %s\naddress: %s\nphone: %s\n\n",
> >       name.inspect, address.inspect, phone.inspect
> >   end
> >
> >   p db[john]
> >   p db[jane]
> > end
> >

> > ~/eg/ruby > ruby photo.rb
> >
> > name: #<struct Struct::Name first="john", last="doe">
> > address: [#<struct Struct::Address addr1="foo", addr2="bar", city="boulder", zip="80304">, #<struct Struct::Phone home="1", work="2", mobile="3">]
> > phone: nil
> >
> > name: #<struct Struct::Name first="jane", last="doe">
> > address: [#<struct Struct::Address addr1="bar", addr2="foo", city="boulder", zip="80305">, #<struct Struct::Phone home="3", work="2", mobile="1">]
> > phone: nil
> >
> > [#<struct Struct::Address addr1="foo", addr2="bar", city="boulder", zip="80304">, #<struct Struct::Phone home="1", work="2", mobile="3">]
> > [#<struct Struct::Address addr1="bar", addr2="foo", city="boulder", zip="80305">, #<struct Struct::Phone home="3", work="2", mobile="1">]
> >

> > you can obviously just store the path to the photo this way...  the thing with
> > pstore is that you can tailor the object to meet your needs: perhaps a hash
> > would be better: it's up to you.  also check out madeleine (on RAA) for this
> > purpose.
> >

> > -a
>
> Thanks Ara, I'll definitely will try your example above. And check out
> madeline as well.
>

> One question though, have you tried the pstore for multi-user or this is

i have used it for multi-user in house applications.  i seem to remember you
saying this was for a round 20 users or so - in which case it would be fine.
if you want more you really need to go with postgresql and 'set isolation
level serializable' or deal with transaction conflicts yourself.  pstore uses
flock so it supports single writer many reader semantics.  note that this is
the same as sqlite - it too uses flock and coarse grained locking internally.

> What happen if 2 or more user accessing the same db at the same time? Thanks

one will block.  this is generally pretty easy to deal with by simply
minimizing the amount of time you are writing to the database, for example
use:

  value = cgi['value']

  pstore.transaction do
    pstore[:key] = value
  end

vs.

  pstore.transaction do
    value = cgi['value']
    pstore[:key] = value
  end

unless you db/updates are _very_ big the time blocked will probably be about
what the connection time would be been if using a rdbms server.

and use read_only = true when possible.  note that, if you really want true
concurency your cgi script will become pretty compilcated - especially for
multi page apps which can span several minutes...  simply using mysql or
postgresql won't solve think for you.

i would reccomend this:

  * abstract the database layer as a class which get records by key, adds
    records, deletes records, etc.

  * develop your app using pstore or other embedded db

move to a db server iff throughput becomes a problem.  the ability to develop
quickly, back up your db using 'tar', move to a new server using 'scp', etc.
are real benefits - plus you do not move outside the ruby installation and
need to involve sysads (eek).  rdbms are great but sometimes a little
overkill.

you also might want to check out 'bdb' which is very good and has transaction
support.

-a
--

ATTN: please update your address books with address below!