On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Aleksi Niemel? wrote:

(Limited technical substance in my mail below so beware ;-). Some
q's/ideas at the bottom though...)

> I'd like to note that at [ruby-list:27016] Akimichi Tatsukawa announces
> Genetic Programming library (at least Robert might be interested in). It has
> been added also to RAA:
>   http://www.ale.cx/mine/raa/raa-history-Library_AI.html#Ruby_GP

Thanks for pointing me to this; I'll definetely check it out. I've
considered releasing my GP/EvolutionaryComputation/MachineLearning Ruby+C
behemoth to RAA but didn't think there was any interest. Anyway there is
some code in there with unclear licensing issues so it might not happen
anyway. If folks are interested in GP/EC/ML I might reconsider... Please
mail me if you're doing stuff in this area; we might benefit from
code/discussions (but, unfortunately, I don't know any japanese).

> I'm sure Ruby is quite ideal language for exploring many problems academics
> have to face every day. For example to test out ideas before hand optimized
> assembly code is put in couple of very expensive computers to spit out the
> final answers to whatever problem requiring intelligence.

To me, Ruby + optimized C has been a perfect match. Ruby let me quickly
try out new ideas for experiments, profile and later
(possibly) re-implement in optimized C. BTW, there's not a very big need
for "very expensive computers" anymore since you can have your own
"seti@home" system ("Ruby@home"?) (built with drb in Ruby of course!)
and use lots of "inexpensive" Windows PC's to get high "experiment
throughput".

Thanks a lot to the Ruby community for making this all possible. I'm sure
future enhancements such as gulp (grand unified lib project), archiver,
cookbook, RubyInRuby, RubyGui, extension versioning etc will continue to
make Ruby a very rewarding experience.

BTW, what's the status on these, much discussed, enhancements? Is anyone
actually implementing or are we still brainstorming? Should
we have somewhere/way to announce efforts to avoid duplication?

/Robert