Continuing with the sets of newbie questions...

Some doubts about proc:

1) I assume the question will be no, but is it possible to evaluate a
piece of proc code for syntax errors?  That is, I have a construct of
the form:

       text = "some text coming from somewhere"
       code = proc { text }

I'd like to know whether text is valid ruby code (syntactically),
without having to run the proc.  In perl, this would be done by
running eval on the code, as perl compiles to bytecode the proc even
if not running it.
But in ruby, it seems the proc is not "compiled" until run.  Is there
any work-around for this?

2) I am currently using DelimScanner, a module written by Michael
Granger.
   Under 1.8, I get the message:

../DelimScanner.rb:143: warning: instance_methods: parameter will
default to 'true' as of 1.8.1

for the following line in the code:

    def_delegators :@scanner,
        *( StringScanner.instance_methods -
NeedCastingDelegators.collect {|sym| sym.id2name} )

Now, if instance_methods is to be obsolete, what should be the proper
replacement?  Both methods() and public_methods() seem to return a
different (ie. more) set of functions than instance_methods().