Hi all, hi Eric,

thanks for your answer.

Eric Hodel - drbrain / segment7.net wrote this:
>Stephan K?mper (Stephan.Kaemper / Schleswig-Holstein.de) wrote:
>> For Notifier:
>> [979] stk@tao ~/devel/util: ruby Notifier.rb
>> druby://tao:4711
>> Changing:  4
>> Now, why does it say >>> druby://tao:33324 <<< in the 1st line of
th output?
>> And how can I stop this?
>
> I take it you mean for the notifier?

No, I really did mean what I wrote: It's the client program that
complains (well, sort of) about not being able to connect.
I do understand that the connection is refused for the service
'druby://tao:33324'. There's just no partner running on that port.
However, I do not understand, why port 33324 is tried at all...

>> require 'drb'
>> require 'drb/observer'
>>
>> class Notifier
>>   include Observable
>>   include DRb::DRbUndumped
>>
>>   def change( i )
>>     puts "Changing: #{'%2d' % i}"
>>     changed( true )
>>     notify_observers( Time.now, i )
>>   end
>> end
>>
>> DRb.start_service( 'druby://tao:4711', Notifier.new )
>> puts DRb.uri
>  ^^^^
> This is why

Hmmm, do you really think it's the line with the 'puts', that causes
the second connection to fail? As the problem remains after removing
the line you marked, the reason for the refused connection is
something else, I suspect -- correct me, if I'm wrong.

> DRb.thread.join

Cheers, & happay rubying
Stephan