On Jan 4, 2004, at 5:41, Chris Pine wrote:

> Does anyone know of any webhosters offering Ruby (or mod_ruby)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

I came across http://www.1and1.com the other day, they offer free web
hosting for 3 years as a promotion that runs till Jan 20, 2004. I set
up an account with them, it looks great. 500M disk space,
Perl/Python/PHP, MySQL database, ftp/ssh access to their Linux server.
They do not officially support Ruby (I called their support line),
however I found Ruby 1.6.7 installed there, and checked that CGIs in
Ruby work fine, it seems like no mod_ruby though :-(. I also compiled
Ruby 1.8.1 and installed it in my home directory there, works great.

I do not know all implications, however according to their site
"there's no strings attached" ;-). For me it looks safe as they do not
require a credit card to setup an account, just a US based phone number
(their automated system calls you back to pronounce your PIN to proceed
with setup).

Sincerely,
Gennady Bystritsky