Hi!

* Greg Brondo:
> Why do more large applications (like LimeWire for instance) seem
> to be written in Java these days instead of Ruby or one of the
> other scripting languages (insert favorite here). I've written in
> Java and it seems more of a bear to me than anything else. Ruby is
> much, much quicker for "getting the job done".

Why do people use Java (the programming language)?

 - Some do it because of the prejudice that if it is from a
   well-known company it must be good.

 - Some do it because of the prejudice that Java programs are
   automatically cross-platform (one can easily write Java programs
   that are *not* portable)

 - Some do it because it is the best language for the problem at
   hand.

 - Some do it because the client asked them to do it.

Many more reasons are possible. One of Ruby's major problems is the
lack of presence in the media.

It's a positive feedback loop: The more people know what Ruby can do
for them the more people will learn about it and use it.

Ruby needs evangelization and evangelization takes time. When people
from the local LUG seek for a skript solving some problem I quite
often send a script - written in Ruby - even though the LUG is
irreversibly contaminated by camel dung :->

Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT
--
http://oss.erdfunkstelle.de/ruby/    -     German comp.lang.ruby-FAQ
http://rubyforge.org/users/jupp/     -     Ruby projects at Rubyforge