I probably "just don't get it" yet. So feel free to say,
"You don't want to do that" (but defend your answer).

I'm curious to know whether there's a way to "turn off"
the automatic inclusion of every new entry at the top
level.

For example, suppose I want to have sections that are
reviews of books, movies, and concerts; but I don't
want these to appear in the "main" part. I want to keep
the main area for my news, rants, and musings.

C'est possible?

Also, is it possible to sort the section entries other
than alphabetically? Or make it optional, by the user
clicking on a link?

Hal