Mike Wilson wrote:
> I'm trying to put an app together that I would need to run on quite a
> few like systems, and I'd like to not have to install ruby on each one.
> Currently, I'm trying to use miniruby to accomplish this.  Is this an ok
> way to go?
>
> So, far I have a directory structure that looks like this:
>
> /usr/local/myapp
> /usr/local/myapp/runmyapp                     <- #!bin/miniruby  ...
> $LOAD_PATH << "lib"
> /usr/local/myapp/bin/miniruby
> /usr/local/myapp/lib/*.rb
> /usr/local/myapp/lib/digest.so
> /usr/local/myapp/lib/digest/md5.so
>
> Which mostly works, except I need access to the md5 stuff and I seem to
> have problems using it after copying the digest.so and md5.so into my
> lib directory.  Rather than printing an md5 hash when I do something
> like digest.to_s, it prints the Object reference (#<MD5:0xe77b8>).
> Also, I have to explicitly require "digest".  I assume that I have some
> issue with autoloading, but I'm not sure.  Can anyone tell me how to fix
> this?
>
> What's the best way to do this, or does everyone just install all of ruby?

> Check your PC for viruses with the FREE McAfee online computer scan.

Actually, you can use ruby exactly same way as you use miniruby now. I
also ship ruby executable together with my application plus all standard
ruby library files required by the application (I put them in my own
directories and adjust $LOAD_PATH as you do). Just to note, ruby
executable does not need any of the standard ruby library files to
function properly (unless your application explicitly require them).

I am not sure what's the problem with digest.so and md5.so in
"miniruby", however with just "ruby" everything works great.

Gennady.