Gennady wrote:

> data = listing.values_at(4,8)

Thanks!

Obviously, I should have tried

   puts [].methods.sort.join("\n")

in irb, to see what methods are currently available for arrays. I'm pretty sure I would have guessed that values_at was what I was looking for!

Sadly, I just use ri (and rj) and neither of them listed values_at.  Somehow, I didn't notice Array#select in either of them; either that or I misread the documentation.

Note: I still think that indexing an array with an array of indices is such an obvious thing to try that it should be there, but for the time being, I'll just spend some time reading through the updated documentation once the new ri comes out.

Cheers,

Harry O.