having recently migrated one of my machines from a 1.6 flavor to the
new 1.8 i must say i was surprised to see problems with

blah.gsub!("testing", ' ')

i got a message that it was going to ignore(?) this statement as
"testing" was not a regexp.....  this hit me on more than one script,
forcing me into a quick-fix mode as i definitely was not anticipating
this script-debilitating "ignore" of my code...

i don't understand the need to nitpick the regexp in this case, if
someone passes a string it seems quite a simple task for you to
_ENSURE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY_ and convert it internally to a regexp