On Friday, December 12, 2003, 8:16:58 AM, Simon wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 04:31:06 +0900, Hal Fulton wrote:
> [snip]
>> These make up the "signal" of -talk.
>>
>> This sort of thing makes up the "noise":
> [snip]

> How about announcements, are they considered signal?  or noise?

> Should they go to ruby-talk   or
> rubynet-announce / lists.rubynet.org  ?

Hal mentioned RAA and RubyForge announcements.  I think they're an
important part of the signal.  So much so, they're typically labelled
with [ANN] so one doesn't miss them amongst the noise.  I think
announcements of significant updates is welcome as well.

Having a dedicated announcement list is fine in theory, but there's
just not a real need for it IMO.  It doesn't allow for discussions
based on announcements.  If someone doesn't like reading the rest of
ruby-talk, they can filter.  If enough people don't like it, they can
create a program that filters and publishes announcements through a
separate list.  That sort of thing should be automatic and should not
depend on people bothering to post announcements to multiple places.

Gavin