On Thursday 11 December 2003 08:52 pm, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> > This sort of thing makes up the "noise":
> > - endless discussion of dead RCRs
>
> What's an RCR?

Ruby Change Request.

> > - demands for a ++ operator
>
> I did that once.  Sorry.

Don't be. Its a common thought, and its noticed lack in Ruby is obviously one
of the first things a Nuby will wonder about. And I certainly wouldn't expect
a Nuby to know too much about tracking down past suggestions either.

> > - endless comparisons to other languages
>
> Positive comparisons okay?  Ruby rulez!

Yes, yes it does. :)

> > - gratuitous references to POLS and duck typing
>
> If I may ask... what do those things mean?

POLS - Principle of Least Surprise. It is a general design principle by which
Matz does his best to apply to the design of Ruby. By extension, Rubyists try
to follow the same principle. Obviously we all have different opinions about
it.

Duck Typing - An much newer notion that a class/object (even a method in a
round about way) has a Type based on the the methods it responds to and not
by the name it is given. This analogy may help:

  Class : Duck Type :: kind_of? : repond_to?

Cheers in Return,
T.