il Thu, 11 Dec 2003 01:23:56 GMT, Steven Lumos <slumos / yahoo.com> ha
scritto::

>I have a (really) big data structure, which looks like:
>
>  Features = [
>    ["feature", ["parent1", "parent2"], {:C1 => [0.0, (7 more)], :C2 => ...}],
>    ...a LOT more (like 2500) lines...
>  ]
>
>I was initially using (shudder) XML for storage, but as the structure
>developed, we literally had to choose between dumping XML or dumping
>Ruby.  I thought about other generic methods but ended up settling on
>writing out the Ruby representation of the structure and loading it
>with require.  What I'm currently using is exactly like the above but
>with the constant wrapped in a module.
>
>My question is: Is there an even faster way to load a big structure
>than this?

I suppose load should be little faster than require :)

BTW, you may like to take a look at [ruby-talk: 83802],
_why did some experiment on loadin stuff faster using yaml, over xml,
with some tricks

More: are you working with REXML? have you tried using libxml
bindings?
What about the ruby version/platform? 1.6 on windows was really slow,
1.8 is much faster.