We are planning to make a Ruby Operating System (ROS),
http://ros.rubyforge.org/

We have some concerns about which license policy we should choose,
OSI compatibility.. I am no expert on this.

Any advices/hints/opinions are appreciated ?

--
Simon Strandgaard

citing discussion between shasckaw and me:

Simon Strandgaard wrote:

>>>I think overall license should be Ruby License.
>>>Unless the subproject developers have other ideas, then LGPL and BSD
>>>license are ok.
>>>For non-vital stuff, GPL are ok.
>>>
>>>How would you like it to be ?
>>>

>>Whatever the licenses used, they must compatible, the overall system
>>must be license consistent, and it can be a hard work if we aren't
>>cautious. If we expect to use a lot of Gnu software, which are most of
>>time GPLed software, we must be cautious with Gpl compatibility. For the
>>FSF licenses compatibility analysing, see this page:
>>http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html . Ruby license is not
>>listed here, too bad.
>>
>>*I'm currently seeking additional informations*
>>I can't find Ruby license on OSI: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
>>
>>*after more search*
>>Ruby has a double licensing, like perl. It can be GPL. The other
>>possibility is an original one, specific to ruby, and I don't know
>>anything about its GPL compatibility. Primarly, it seems ok but I'm no
>>expert.
>>

>You seems to be much more into licenses than what I am.
>I am really bad at reading licenses because English are not my native
>language. They trend to use different terminology than what I am
>familiar with.
>
>If you think you have a good understanding of licenses, then you should
>decide ROS'es license scheme.

Glups.
My mother tongue is not english either, it is french (I live in belgium)
And I'm not lawyer at all.
And determining a license scheme is a truly hard thing, we must have a
really clear idea of the organisation of Ros.

What I know about licenses tell me that their use is easy when you just
use one license with no third party code with different license, and
their use is headache when you want to use multiple licensing or when
you want to keep the copyright. And you can rapidly use multiple
licensing just when using third party code.

How can we know how to do?
Well, what about asking FSF or OSI about the compatibility of Ruby
license with GPL and others?