On  6 Jan, Jim Cochrane wrote:

> I'm considering porting some scripts I've written in Python to Ruby.
> Is there a Python-to-Ruby translator available?  If not, for those who

Not that I am aware of one, but perhaps somebody has already done such
beast. But I have not much hope!

> have experience with this, is translating from Python to Ruby by hand
> very difficult?  (It's not a lot of code - probably under 1,000 lines
> or at least under 1500.)

I have done some conversions of own code. It was much more easier than
to convert Perl --> Python code. As long as you have no predefined
__<whatever>__ stuff used in your code and your code does not heavily
depend on __del__ (ok that is __<whatever>__ stuff ;-) it is pretty
stright forward ... you can even use your editor-of-heart to issue some
substitute commands.

But ok! It is not automatic ...

OTOH, rewrite in Ruby may improve the code. At least this was happen to
my code after I didn't try to program Python using Ruby anymore ;-)

> Thanks!

HTH,
\cle