I found the following interesting item at:

    http://www.gtk.org/docs/gtk.html
    Peter Mattis and the GTK+ team

GTK provides some unique features. (At least, I know of no other widget
library
which provides them). For example, a button does not contain a label, it
contains a child widget, which in most instances will be a label. However,
the
child widget can also be a pixmap, image or any combination possible the
programmer desires. This flexibility is adhered to throughout the library.

To make life easier for you, GTK presents this flexibility in a uniform
framework. Specifically, it implements its own support for object oriented
programming that is well adapted to the purposes of a user interface toolkit
and it aims at providing a reasonable sane and disciplined programming
interface. This uniformity and discipline is intended to make it easy and
reliable to access GTK from languages other than C. Especially more dynamic
languages like Perl, Python or Scheme will find amble support, and in fact,
bindings to these languages already exist.

Anyone know of any qualifications to paragraph 1 above (which was apparently
written sometime around 1998)?

Conrad