I've been working on ruby bindings to libxosd2 for a couple days.  It's
all going quite well, and the library is in a state that I'm ready to
release it, except for one thing.
Sometimes (and it seems fairly random to me) the ruby process that's
requiring the library just refuses to exit.  I can't ctrl-C it, all I can
do is kill it.
I've written a small test script that seems to cause the problem about as
often as I can get it to, and I'm hoping someone with a bit more
experience with writing extensions can take a look and help me out.  I've
so far experienced the problems on ruby 1.6.8 and 1.8.0, both on Linux on
i386.
I can ctrl-Z the process, and doing a 'ps', I see this:
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
16727 pts/16   00:00:00 bash
17321 pts/16   00:00:00 ruby
17322 pts/16   00:00:00 ruby <defunct>
17359 pts/16   00:00:00 ps

If anyone wants to help me out, you'll need libxosd2, and the equivalent
development package installed, as well as libxosd2-ruby from cvs.

Here's the cvs info for libxosd2-ruby:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous / rubyforge.org:/var/cvs/libxosd-ruby login
(password is blank)

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous / rubyforge.org:/var/cvs/libxosd-ruby co libxosd2-ruby

The these three commands:
1. ruby extconf.rb
2. make
3. ruby break1.rb

Executing the 3rd one repeatedly should eventually cause it to not exit,
and not respond to ctrl-C.

Derek Lewis

      Java Web-Application Developer

      Email    : email / lewisd.com
      Cellular : 604.312.2846
      Website  : http://www.lewisd.com

 "If you've got a 5000-line JSP page that has "all in one" support
 for three input forms and four follow-up screens, all controlled
 by "if" statements in scriptlets, well ... please don't show it
 to me :-).  Its almost dinner time, and I don't want to lose my
 appetite :-)."
      - Craig R. McClanahan