On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 05:15:40 +0900, culley harrelson wrote:

> Does anyone have ruby 1.8 + libraries working from the freebsd ports
> tree?  I have ruby 1.6 and ruby 1.8 installed from ports but any attempt
> to install other ruby ports puts them in the 1.6 library.  Upon
> installation the 1.8 port says:
>
> ==
> To build a ruby related port for Ruby 1.8, define RUBY_VER=1.8 on the
> make command line or in /etc/make.conf.  If you want to use Ruby 1.8
> as the default instead of 1.6, define RUBY_DEFAULT_VER=1.8 also.
> ==

I have Ruby 1.8 running on FreeBSD 5.2 BETA. In
/etc/make I have

RUBY_VER=1.8
RUBY_DEFAULT_VER=1.8

It works fine. I'm surely not a Ruby expert but I love it and it works
fine for what I'm using it.

Perhaps you should do a pkg_deinstall for the ruby 1.6 and then
install the ruby 1.8 with the settings in /etc/make.conf as mentioned
above.

Manfred