> From: Chris Uppal [mailto:chris.uppal / metagnostic.REMOVE-THIS.org]
> Subject: Re: anything disappearing from Ruby for 2.0?
>
> Ferenc Engard wrote:
> > > Candidates are:
> > >
> > >   * Perl style variables
> >
> > If you still intend to use ruby for one-liners, then they
> should remain
> > IMHO. Anyway, they do not harm anybody. I vote to not removing them.
>
> [I'm an outsider delurking on this newsgroup for the first time]
>
> I want to add the observation that the Perlisms in Ruby were
> a major (perhaps
> *the* major) factor that put me off the language when I
> looked at it a year or
> so ago.

yes, a lot of people say that this is a factor which causes them to avoid ruby and i understand that it could be a turn-off for someone being introduced to the language.
what i'd like to know chris is if you still feel that those perlisms are a turn-off for you.
i mean, i can understand that you would have been turned off initially, but do you still feel that they are a problem for you?
or did u mention that you were initially put off because it indicates that it would be a problem when ruby is advocated as an alternative to other languages.

>     -- chris

Gavri Savio Fernandez
What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet. - Woody Allen