Good observations.

I especially agree with:

  "The reason  why we all  prefer ruby is  also apparent: almost  all the
time the ruby solution is the shortest  and most elegant. If it could be
as fast, we would beat hell out of other languages!"

When Ruby moves to production applications performance is a big factor in
choosing the language. People are willing to put up with some inelegance.

Is there anyone working on performance. It would be a shame for Ruby to
wither because other languages execute faster?