> From: Lennie DeVilliers [mailto:Lennie / kwikpay.co.za]
> Subject: Re: Ruby advertisement article [Computerwoche]
>

> Sorry guys, sent the message by mistake (Ctrl + Enter) before
> finnishing my
> comments.
>
> Ruby is an interpreter language, we're running it on a Linux
> server... I
> dont know if there's a compiler avialable (?) Actually that
> doesnt matter to
> me as Ruby runs very fast.
>
> >- Is it possible to create distributable binaries that don't require
> >  a Ruby installation?
>
> Check code written 10/20 yrs ago! Code at that stage was COMPLETELLY
> unreadable.
> You can write obfuscate code in any programming language.
>
> >- Is it possible to obfuscate code so that it is no longer readable
> >  (that question did come up elsewhere when C# was fresh and someone
> >  wrote a tool that created quite readable C# code from CLI
> >  instructions).
>
> I guest that depends on the business facts.
>
> >- How to deal with the choice between two licenses?
>
> Very! I wrote the server scripts on my MS Win 2000 PC and
> they ran without
> making *any* changes on our Linux server.
>
> >- How portable are Programs written in Ruby?
>
> For decades Perl & Python was use on Linux, Ruby isnt so old but in
> comparision with those I say Perl have the most docs, then Ruby, then
> Python.
>
> >- How does Ruby compare to Perl and Python in terms of availability
> >  of libraries available books, other documentation and libraries?
>
> I once ported a C++ app over to a Ruby script, the script is
> running *much*
> faster in comparison.
> Even if its a interpreted language the speed isnt a question.
>
> >- Why switch from a compiled language to an interpreted language?
>
> Lennie De Villiers

wow!! this was the weirdest case of top-posting i've ever seen :-)

--
Gavri Savio Fernandez
I can't stand cheap people. It makes me real mad when someone says something like, "Hey, when are you going to pay me that $100 you owe me?" or "Do you have that $50 you borrowed?" Man, quit being so cheap!  - Jack handy