Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:8566] Visions for 2001/1.7.x development?"
    on 01/01/04, Robert Feldt <feldt / ce.chalmers.se> writes:

|Since Ruby 1.7.x development has started it would be very nice if you
|could hint on some of the main features you foresee will be changed/added
|in Ruby 1.7.x as opposed to 1.6.2. The ToDo list is informative but it's
|difficult to know how different things will be prioritized. And maybe some
|stuff isn't there? Do you consider the language fairly stable as of 1.6.2
|so that 1.7/1.8 will mostly be behind-the-scenes changes? Any Ruby visions
|for 2001?

Sevaral major things I hope to have in 1.7 are:

  * keyword argumant as in Python
  * M17N
  * generational GC (patch is already available)
  * bytecodify interpreter

First two would have noticeable changes, but hopefully in the upward
compatible manner.  The latter two would have no change in behavior.
In general, 1.7/1.8 would be mostly upward compatible changes, unlike
Perl6.

About minor changes, I haven't decided about most of them (yet most of
my ideas listed in ToDo list).  It's up to you (i.e. community).
Let's discuss what you want to see in the future.

							matz.