"T. Onoma" <transami / runbox.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:200311260931.14413.transami / runbox.com...
> On Wednesday 26 November 2003 06:07 pm, Robert Klemme wrote:
>
> > > (i.e. so that s[0] and s[0,1] return the same thing,  as is already
true
> > > of arrays).
> >
> > But you can be sure that then there will be another method (possibly
> > String#at(index)) that is equivalent to String#[index] of today.
>
> or
>
>   str[index].asc as the opposite of Integer#chr, perhaps?

Inefficient since in the future str[index] would return a string (see the
other postings in the thread).  It would be a bad idea to create a new
string just to get at the ascii value of it's first character.

> i thought we already had this but i can't seem to find it so guess we
don't.

Currently str[index] returns an int denoting the ascii value.

    robert