Hi!

* Frank Schmitt; 2003-11-24, 13:08 UTC:
> bjsp123 / imap.cc (Benjamin Peterson) writes:
>>
>> A better question these days might be:  why would you want to use
>> Microsoft's C/C++ compiler when their C# compiler (and the .NET
>> build tools and runtimes) are also free?
>
> Because C/C++ are both platform-independent?

C# is platform-independent, too. Microsoft's C# compiler is not the
only one...

> Because C# is yet another obsolete offspring of C/C++?

I wouldn't call it obsolete unless there is a good Ruby compiler...

> Because I don't want garbage collection in my compiled language of
> choice?

Most programs dynamically allocate and free memory so garbage
collection is a must. What you are talking about is *automatic*
garbage collection. In C# you can manually collect garbage or you can
have C# do that for you - it is possible to have both in one program.

> Because I want templates?

Yes, that's a problem but MS is working on that. The major problem
with upcoming templates is that 'slipping deadline' brand campaign.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
                        .-------.
message > 100 kB?   /   |       |