Hello,

This is a summary of ruby-dev mailing list last week.

ruby-dev:21883-21927

[ruby-dev:21883] right hand Regexp
  Koji Arai proposed a method Object#=~ so that we can write
  a Regexp object on the right hand as follows.

    obj =~ /foo/

  In his opinion, if 'obj' responds to 'to_str', the above code
  has the same meaning as the following one.

    obj.to_str =~ /foo/

  Matz refused the proposal, since he thought that 'to_str' should
  be used to convert a parameter passed to a method and we should
  prepare an object with all methods of String if we want to
  consider it a String object.
  He then proposed a module which provides an object with a set of
  methods of String if the object has to_str.

[ruby-dev:21902] [Oniguruma] version 1.9.5
  Kosako informed us the new version of Onigruma.

[ruby-dev:21911] how to call ruby from multiple native threads
  Shugo Maeda posted a part of mod_ruby sources to show how to
  use functions of ruby from multiple native threads.
  In his implementation, he uses a queue by which function calls
  from each native thread are forwarded to a native thread for ruby.

[ruby-dev:21925] CGI#read_multipart raises NoMethodError
  Akira Yamada posted something like a bug of cgi.rb. In this
  talk, Matz wrote two issues about cgi.rb which he heard in
  Ruby Conference.
  - It is hard to know if a received data format is multipart.
    * One solution is to wrap it with something which behaves
      like String.
  - It is hard to know if a received data is a kind of
    StringIO or a Tempfile.
    * One proposal is to convert a StringIO object to a
      Tempfile object when calling the 'local_path' method.

--
Takaaki Tateishi <ttate / ttsky.net>