I can't say enough good things about Ruby. I bought the book and read it
cover to cover, I can't put this language down, it's GREAT!

    However, I have a suggestion..

    I work for a software company and write software commercially (as I'm
sure many of you do) so I'm constantly looking for ways to make development
faster, better and more fun. Ruby does all of that but it has the same
shortcoming that PHP does  -- there isn't any way to obfuscate the source
code so in order to distribute an application to a client or clients, one
must give out the source... I can't imagine how quickly Ruby would spread
(think the rate it's growing now, multiplied by wild fire, squared) if there
was some sort of encoder to allow ruby applications to be distributed in
non-source form...

    I see that there are a few under development but it looks like they're
stalled (both nearly a year old) -- I'm just wondering if any thought has
been giving to such a project as I would think to complete it with any kind
of speed and accuracy, you'd need the core developers working on it..

    Like I said, just a suggestion, I'll continue to use and like Ruby
regardless of an encoder/compiler becoming available...

    Thanks!!

-Mitch