"Brad" <bradclark1 / msn.com> wrote:

> [...]
Not impossible.  ActiveState's reputation in the Perl
community a few years ago stunk.  On the surface they have
been better, but there are troubling details.  For instance
why  is 5.6.0 still the official version of Perl?  On *nix
(adjust quotes for Windows):

perl -e 'my $x = 10; $x = "2" . $x; print $x + 0'

prints 10 instead of 210.  Here is the thread:

http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/04/p5pdigest/THISWEEK-20000430.html#Gack__Big_Bug_in_56

Yes, this was discovered and patched in April.  Last year.
If you get binaries from ActiveState this is fixed.  Has been
for ages.  But the official version of Perl *STILL* does this
wrong!

Why?  Does it have to do with the fact that the person who
was in charge of the development of 5.6 is an ActiveState
employee?  It certainly doesn't fit my impression of him
prior to his joining ActiveState.  But when looked at it from
the point of view of a company which wants to brand itself as
the reliable place to get Perl, it certainly has been darned
convenient...

I don't have any solid evidence either way.  But I don't like
the impression I have been left with one bit.

Cheers,
Ben