Dave Thomas <Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> wrote:
> "Robert Gustavsson" <robertg / swipnet.se> writes:
>
> > Dave writes:
> >
> > >Them brackets'll get you every time. btw. I believe Matz is
> > >deprecating the :xxx: character classes (which is why we didn't
> > >document them).
> >
> > I think it is a shame because it makes regex pattern just slightly more
> > readable.
>
> Remember that Ruby has the equivalent \w, \W, \d, \D and so on.

I really have to agree with Mr. Gustavsson here.  The POSIX regex class
patterns may be long-winded, but they are standard and _very_ readable.  I
can't imagine what would be gained by removing them other than making regex
usage very confusing to many people when previously used behavior no longer
works.

Where was the announcement that regex classes would be deprecated?  I'd
fight to keep them, too -- I use them all the time because I find \x \y \z
none too readable.