tonys / myspleenklug.on.ca wrote:
>well, i don't know how much detail your ships have, but mine don't really
>have any, they are just numbers associated with a planet or a fleet.

Mine have a size, location, owner (I guess that
would be which fleet they belong to), and they
will soon have a current speed.

>this is the python planet class:
(snip)

Looks great, and easy to translate directly to
Ruby.

>and this is the code that init's all the planets:
(snip)

>nothing fancy. no arrays, or hashes, or hashes of arrays, etc. the python
>code is very clean, readable, but most of all logical. i'm hoping the finished
>ruby code will be also
>
>i'm trying to keep it very 'object oriented'. i don't feel that anything
>that belongs to a 'planet' should be outside of it's class...

That makes sense, and we're not suggesting
otherwise. However, I would suggest that there is
something bigger than a planet that holds all the
planets. Perhaps it's a galaxy, or maybe it's
just the game itself. Either way, it would be
handy for this larger object to be able to treat
the entire group of planets as a single entity,
such as to pass it to a routine for searching or
saving to disk. The array/hash solution does that
(along with the other benefits).

Kevin