Dave writes:

>Them brackets'll get you every time. btw. I believe Matz is
>deprecating the :xxx: character classes (which is why we didn't
>document them).

I think it is a shame because it makes regex pattern just slightly more
readable.

There is another reason for which I think it should'nt be left out. For
example [[:lower:]] is today the same as [a-z]. But when (if?) Ruby will
support Unicode or ISO-88xx then already existing regex pattern with
[[:lower:]] will begin work with national characters.

Do you know the reasons for deprecating the character classes?

I think it is a pity Ruby isn't Unicode based from the ground up like Java.
I really hope this will change in the future.

/rob