On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:49:27 +0100, ts wrote:

> S> Any ideas how to fake this?
>
>  Well, it's easy to do for $' and $`, no idea for the rest $1, ...
>
> S> Any rationale why they are write-protected?
>
>  These variables are the result of a regexp against a string : it seems a
>  non sense to change this result.

Aree, these values should only contain output from regexp.
But as a paradox I am developing my own regexp engine!

I want my regexp engine to be compatible with Ruby's, therefore I want to
exercise the engine with the Rubicon testsuite. But rubicon uses $& and
$1-$9.  I can substitute all occurencies of $& and $1-$9 in rubicon.

If $& and $1-$9 assignment are impossible, then, then my regexp-engine
never will get compatible with Ruby's engine :-(

[RCR] remove write-protection of $&, $1-$9, $', $`, $+
or perhaps let them stay write-protected, but let assignment via const_set
become possible?

--
Simon Strandgaard