I think the discussion I've read so far of MS VC++ vs gcc misses the
point, so let me give everyone the "corporate" perspective.

First, I've never heard of cygwin/mingw being used in a corporate
setting.  It's either *nix or Windows, not *nix on Windows.  Even in a
mixed environment, such as the one I'm in, you would never develop a
Windows app under cygwin because you can't require that cygwin be
installed on the client's machine.

Second, I can't count on a shared object built under cygwin to work on
Windows without cygwin installed, even if I avoid fork.  It's just not a
risk I'm willing to take.

Just my .02.

Regards,

Dan