I was looking at prototyping a write once file service, a bit like
Plan9s Venti system. I delete files a lot :)
As usual, my grand designs are  thwarted by the basics...

I'm at the 'get the unit tests of the simplest possible implementation to
pass' stage, and need something like an append-only file of fixed
size records (data blocks). Have we got classes or methods to do
record-based file IO? I dont mind reinventing a wheel otherwise.

Next problem (I learned to never look more than 1 problem ahead or I
never start anything). I need an index that gets dynamically updated as
the record file is written to.

The ideal solution would be a hash that was backed by a file somehow-
then I realised I could implement the data blocks themselves
the same way.

I looked through pickAxe and RAA for  these two and found a lot of SQL
persistence APIs, but that feels like overkill....

Does anyone know of a more lightweight solution?
--
I don't care who does the electing as long as I get to do the
nominating.