I'm trying to write a program that will be writing
data to an existing file, that will not necessarily be
done in the physical file order. I used mode 'ab+' to
open the file, as only the 'a' modes allow writing
without changing the existing file. I am using sysread
and syswrite to work with the file.

The problem is that seek doesn't seem to work. At
first I thought it might be regarding the end of the
original file as the 0 point, but some more testing
showed that even with an empty file, seek was not
changing the position of the file pointer.

I did some tests in IRB with a file opened with the
same mode, and seek seemed properly in it. Changing
the mode in the program to 'ab' did not work. (And I'm
eventually going to need read-write capability
anyway...)

Anyone know what could be causing this problem?

-Morgan.