Hello!

Em Qua, 29 Out 2003, Daniel Carrera escreveu:
| I was just wondering what it would take to be able to use Ruby for the
| programming logic.  I guess that one way is to convince the Mozilla
| project to ship Ruby with Mozilla.  But I wouldn't count on that.

Hm... implementing XUL in Ruby would be very easy. The problem have,
actually, two sides:

(1) Either we want Mozilla to use Ruby to draw their GUI - and I think
they'd never do that since JavaScript is the "de facto" language for
client-side applications

(2) Or we want to use XUL's scheme in our Ruby programs - which can be
more interesting... writing our GUIs using XML is, surely, much easier
than the traditional method. The problem is that Ruby doesn't have a
"standard" Graphical Toolkit... So, "our XUL" either have to be bound to
some existing Toolkit and act as "yet another layer" for the GUI
programming, or (which I think is more interesting) act as an agnostic
layer, working with just any Toolkit.

| But over-all, I think I like the idea of using XML for the GUI structure
| and a programming language for the behaviour.  This strikes me as a good
| combination (but then again, I am not a very experienced programmer).

The idea is not new. I think Glade, for the Gtk, can save it's
structures in an XML format to be loaded inside the program. If we could
imagine an "agnostic" Glade that outputs XML in the XUL format, and make
it work with any toolkit Ruby support... that sounds as a good idea.

[]s

Pablo
--
Pablo Lorenzzoni (Spectra) <spectra / debian.org>
GnuPG: 0x268A084D at pgp.mit.edu/keyring.debian.org