Hello all,

Yay! I'm now subscribed to this list. =)

As I mentioned earlier, I'm working on a program to gather data from
OpenOffice.org files.  It's comming along well.  It is sort of a grep-like
program.  One difference is that it can not only match text content, but
it can match styles.

I think this is very neat.  You can take advantage of the logical
structure of OpenOffice.org documents.  Say you have a document full of
poems, and you create a style called "PoemAuthor".  With this program you
can extract all the authors from the document.

Now, I am fiding one significant stumbling block: Zip.

OOo files are zip archives.  Ruby doesn't come with zip functionality by
default, and I don't want to ask people to compile anything to get this
program to run.  Most of them won't have a compiler.

Also, I haven't been able to compile the ruby-zlib pacakge from RAA, so
I'm not sure I want to rely on it.

Can anyone suggest a good way of solving this?  All I need is to extract
one file from a zip archive.  Currently, the program runs the external
program, unzip.  Perhaps I should ship unzip along with the program?  I
think I'm leaning towards this direction.

Does this sound like a good approach?

I am on a Solaris system, so I would need some help gathering command-line
zip programs for the three main platforms: Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.

Any thoughts, comments and ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera    | OpenPGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
PhD grad student. |