On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 11:18 pm, Ben Giddings wrote:
> Michael Garriss wrote:
> > I also have some experience with cross compiling toolchains (don't try
> > this home kids).
>
> Ugh, tell me about it.  What's worse is when you have to pass a CFLAGS
> setting every time you build something.  Most configure scripts don't know
> how to deal with a situation like this at all.

I have almost completed x86-64 support in rubyx (64bit native). The Rubyx
script does all the cross compiling for you automatically. But it was
certainly a pain getting it all to work...

> Anyhow, I have experience building a linux distro from scratch.  Granted,
> it's running on an embedded processor out of 16 megs of flash, but I may
> have useful skills to contribute here for desktop builds too, and I'd like
> to do so.
>
> Is the goal to make the distro gentoo-like?  I have it at home and it is a
> pretty slick system.  I understand its portage package management system
> uses Python underneath.  I like portage, but if I were to write a package
> management system myself I'd change a lot of details.  It seems like
> portage is probably written so that it's tied to the commandline.  A more
> sensible way of doing things to me would be to have easily exchanged UIs
> for package management, text as a basic default, but GTK, QT, etc. as first
> class citizens.

Yes, its like gentoo, but far more customizable. You can say Build me a new
distro please; I'll have linux-2.6-test7, and use gcc 3.3.2 with libc-HEAD
using the NPTL. Compile everything for the pentium4, using these flags....
Or you can just go with the defaults, which are also good, and safer ;)