Michael Garriss wrote:
> I also have some experience with cross compiling toolchains (don't try
> this home kids).

Ugh, tell me about it.  What's worse is when you have to pass a CFLAGS
setting every time you build something.  Most configure scripts don't know
how to deal with a situation like this at all.

Anyhow, I have experience building a linux distro from scratch.  Granted,
it's running on an embedded processor out of 16 megs of flash, but I may
have useful skills to contribute here for desktop builds too, and I'd like
to do so.

Is the goal to make the distro gentoo-like?  I have it at home and it is a
pretty slick system.  I understand its portage package management system
uses Python underneath.  I like portage, but if I were to write a package
management system myself I'd change a lot of details.  It seems like
portage is probably written so that it's tied to the commandline.  A more
sensible way of doing things to me would be to have easily exchanged UIs
for package management, text as a basic default, but GTK, QT, etc. as first
class citizens.

Ben