On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Ruben Vandeginste wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:35:32 +0900, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
> <hgs / dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Greg Vaughn wrote:
> >
> > > approach, but I've seen systems where you're presented with a graphic
> > > containing a word (and a mangled background to foil OCR) and you must
        [...]
> > Yes, see October DDJ for one, but do we really want to exclude blind
> > people :-) ?  And possibly dyslexic people as well....
>
> Another disadvantage of such a system is that it will prevent people
> from searching the archives with google. (most of the times when i
> searched something about ruby, google would give me a relevant post in

Yes, agreed.

> the web archives) Then wouldn't it be better render the email-address
> of the poster as a graphic ?

<sigh>.  People went to a lot of trouble to make SVG accessible to
screen readers, braille displays and the like. You are proposing the
opposite.

Is there really some reason why a password cannot be used to gain
access to the addresses in a message, with a lowish limit of 10 per
day or something?  Abuse would be easy to detect.

> Ruben

        Hugh