On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:35:32 +0900, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
<hgs / dmu.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Greg Vaughn wrote:
>
> > approach, but I've seen systems where you're presented with a graphic
> > containing a word (and a mangled background to foil OCR) and you must
> > type it into a form in order to get access to a web system. The idea is
> > to ensure that it is a real person viewing the web archive rather than a
> > spammer's harvesting bot.
>
> Yes, see October DDJ for one, but do we really want to exclude blind
> people :-) ?  And possibly dyslexic people as well....

Another disadvantage of such a system is that it will prevent people
from searching the archives with google. (most of the times when i
searched something about ruby, google would give me a relevant post in
the web archives) Then wouldn't it be better render the email-address
of the poster as a graphic ?

Ruben